Before the Day
– Do not Party or drink alcohol the night before the tattoo, even if you know you will not get a hangover, alcohol thins your blood, and your depleted body will likely feel more discomfort during the session.
– Do not take a painkiller (Advil, Tylenol etc. …) as it could thin your blood
– Get a quality night’s sleep before you get your tattoo, and be sure to eat a filling meal. Treat this as if you were going to work physically hard in the day, your body will thank you for your support.
– Shave and lotion the tattoo area the night before will make a big difference
– For safety reasons, please do not bring small children or babies.
– Dress comfortably and try to wear clothing that will be easily adjusted for access to the are that is being tattooed
– Bring along something to entertain you while you are getting tattooed. Sometimes it’ll be a long process, and having something to focus on/entertain you can help a lot.
– Bring drinks and snacks, you probably won’t have enough time during short breaks to get food.
– You are also invited to bring your own pillow for lay or sit on during your tattoo.
– Please do not schedule something immediately after your tattoo…in case we are running behind
After the Day
-Leave the tattoo bandaged for a minimum of 3 hours and no longer than 12 hours.
-Remove bandage under warm running water, slowly and carefully to avoid damaging the tattoo
-After the bandage is removed, lightly wash the area with your hand and unscented soap
-Gently pat dry with a soft towel and let it air out for 5 to 10 minutes
-Apply A+D ointment for the first two days, especially after showers
-After the first two days, unscented hand lotion can be applied to the tattoo about 3-4 times daily for about 10-14 days or until the tattoo is completely done peeling.
-Somewhere between 3 and 6 days, the tattoo will start to flake off like a sunburn. Do not pick or scratch at these pieces. The skin needs to peel naturally. If some come detached during washing or applying lotion it is OK, even if there is color in these flakes. Your tattoo is not coming out, it’s just the top dead layer of skin.
What NOT to DO:
-DO NOT rebandaged the tattoo
-Keep it out of the sun for 2-3 weeks, use sunscreen after that
-DO NOT pick or scratch tattoo while it peeling.
-DO NOT soak the tattoo for 2 weeks. That means swimming, baths, hot tubs, or even saunas.
-DO NOT shave or wax the tattooed area until after it is fully healed
-DO NOT apply alcohol, Vaseline, petroleum jelly or sunblock to fresh the tattoo.
-DO NOT WORK OUT on the area that has been tattooed for the first two weeks
-DO NOT follow home remedies or a friend’s advice. Follow the instructions the artist gave you, and we are always willing to take a look at it or answer any questions you have
Some extra stuff:
-Once you leave the shop, proper care of your tattoo is your responsibility.
-A small amount of color may appear on clothing or sheets for the first few days.
If you have ANY question regarding the healing process please call (617) 282 8866